Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Spread the Word!

I've kept this inside too long and it's time I came out and said it: I'm hooked on the new Battlestar Galactica. 'Whew'. That feels better. There's been a tremendous amount of debate over several of the changes made between the old '70's Galactica and this new incarnation, but frankly I think any discussion like that is largely pointless. "Oh no! Starbuck's a woman? You can't do that!" Like hell they can't. What's the fun of remaking the same show with better special effects? You give the creator (Star Trek alumn Ronald Moore) the chance to strut his stuff with a good concept that never got great execution.

I also should admit that I'd always been turned off by Galactica. Sci-fi TV prior to (probably) Next Gen just seems so absolutely cornball to me (excepting, of course, Star Trek TOS, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits). Galactica just seemed like a silly TV adventure show that's been long since dated. The new Galactica, however, is striking, exciting TV. Great drama included. Give it a look-see if you're in the neighborhood of the Sci-fi channel on Friday night. I'm going to post a couple of quick examples for you of the various improvements.

No comments: